Saturday, April 30, 2011

Of winds and shingles

There hasn't been much progress on the boat for over a week.  I drew and cut two bow pieces, to be glued together into a 3/4 inch bow brace, on which the forward ends of the strakes will be fastened.  I also drew the seat risers, the vertical longitudinal pieces that the frames will interlock with, but did not cut them.  Hopefully I can spend some quality time with my project tomorrow (Sunday).

The reasons include the visit of my daughters, which was a lot of fun, and something that was less so.  Early on Thursday morning we were hit by the tail end of the weather system which spawned the tornadoes that devastated Arkansas, Alabama and Mississippi.  We had a couple of hours of such fierce wind that our detached garage, where I am building my boat, lost a large number of shingles.  Some things (many things, actually) take precedence over my hobbies, and I spent most of Saturday on the roof, pulling up torn shingles and nailing on new ones.  I ruined a pair of old jeans and a retired turtleneck and made a mess of my hands with roofing adhesive, but I beat the rain by about five hours--it's coming down noisily as I write.  The new shingles are only an approximate match and the repair job looks better from afar than up close, but it saved time (I expect roofers are very busy after the big storm) and money, which I can spend on my boat and other things.

So tomorrow, barring other emergencies, will see a lot of cutting.  First, a dust box for the table saw, to be connected with the shop vac, something I've been putting off for years.  Then, seat risers and centerboard trunk sides.  Then a whole lot of ripping of cedar 1X4 boards into cleats, stringers, inwales and assorted bits.  Then some epoxy coating and gluing:  I will butt-join the two parts each seat riser together, assemble the centerboard trunk, and put together the fore-end.  Then we'll see.

To follow the progress, keep reading 176inches.

boatbuilder

No comments:

Post a Comment