Sunday, October 30, 2011

Foredeck

The last week was busy.  I screwed and glued the inner side-deck boards onto the side-deck knees (first photo).  Then I gave the insides of the fore-end (which were to be covered by the foredeck) a second coat of epoxy.  I also put the hinges on the flip-up doors.  This involved gluing scraps of plywood on the underside of the doors where the screws were coming through, and chiseling 1/4 inch off the door frame underneath.  Once all was fitted, I removed the screws while I still had clear access to them; I will put everything back together once the benches and doors are all finished.

Then I marked and cut both fore- and side-decks.  This is harder than it sounds.  The foredeck is curved and nothing about it is straight.  I had to screw the plywood along the centerline and bend it to shape before marking the cut line from below.  Ditto the side decks: they curve in strange ways, plus since the side-decks are over 11 feet I had to mark and cut two pieces per side (which will be butt-joined with a scrap of plywood on the underside).  I finally gave the undersides of all decking and all surfaces that they will be glued to a coat of epoxy.

Today I gave the undersides of the decking a second coat of epoxy.  Then I marked where several boards will be attached to the main bulkhead.  One will support the floorboards, and two will be the rails for the sliding door of the fore locker.  Just before putting down the deck I attached all three (the bottom rail with screws only, so I can put in the door once all is properly varnished).  You can see them in the third photo.  Then I slathered epoxy filleting compound on all appropriate surfaces for putting on the foredeck: centerline beam, extra beams, inwales, and bulkhead doublers.  I finally proceeded to screw and nail the foredeck down.

What I should have foreseen is that after two coats of epoxy even 1/4 inch (6 mm) plywood becomes very stiff, so it took extra muscle, screws and nails to keep everything down.  A curved foredeck (photos two and three) is a thing of beauty, but it's a lot of extra work.  So much so that I gave up on doing the same with the side decks today.  I am still racing against time before serious cold descends upon Ohio, and I owe it to my wife to clean the garage up and clear space to store things like the grill for the winter. Just a few more days, though, and everything but topside finishing and floorboards will be done.

Although come to think of it, there is also the little matter of the oak rubrails.  Will I have to build a steam box to steam-bend them?  Or will I just cut a few kerfs on the inside and hide them with filleting compound?  I think I'll opt for the latter...  

So keep checking 176inches!

boatbuilder

No comments:

Post a Comment