Saturday, May 26, 2012

The reckoning

In the past week I filled the CB trunk-garboard joint, where I am certain the leak originates, with epoxy compound, followed by caulk.  I also caulked the seams on the inside bottom, as a second line of defense and to make the buoyancy compartments more watertight.  Today I tested for leaks by pouring water on the inside.  Absolutely none dripped through the bottom, so I expect we are good to go.  I did some more caulking to stop water from moving across the frames.  Then I painted the tips of the mizzen mast, yard and sprit blue to avoid rigging mistakes.  I will have no trouble remembering that: Blue at the Mizzen is the 20th and last novel in Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series of nautical novels.  Finally, I installed clips to hold the oars against the bench seat risers and the boathook under the starboard side deck.  Having received title and registration for the boat, and having put tools and supplies away and tidied up the garage, I am basically done building and fussing.  There will be more of the fussing bit but the building part is done.

So (big exhale!), I can now conclude the boatbuilding portion of this blog with the boat's vital statistics and the cost of building.  I will be posting occasionally about sailing experiences.

Stats:
  • LOA (length overall):                              14’ 10.5” (4.53 m)
  • L@DWL (length at design waterline):      14’ 2” (4.32 m)
  • Beam:                                                     6' (1.83 m)
  • Displacement @ DWL:                           880 lbs (400 kg)
  • Freeboard:                                              20” (0.51 m)
  • Draft:                                                      6.5” (0.17 m); 31” (0.79 m) with centerboard down
  • Sail area:                                                 110 sf (10.2 m2)
  • Hull weight:                                             480 lbs (218 kg)

And here is the cost (in US$).  Some, like consumables, are estimates, and I may have forgotten some items.  It ended up being about $300 more than I expected.  The cost includes anchor but not boathook, bilge pump, registration and of course the trailer.  Also does not include a few tools, such as a couple of clamps, nail-setting punches and an angle grinder, that I can use for other projects.

Plywood (3 sheets 3/8", 8 sheets 1/4") and oak boards
750
Cedar boards
150
Other lumber (spars, oars, miscellaneous)
100
Epoxy (3.5 gallons)
235
Bronze nails and screws
85
Hardware (oarlocks and sockets, gudgeons & pintles)
65
Sailmaking supplies
220
Chandlery (blocks, cleats, line, fasteners)
300
Paint and varnish
55
Lead ballast
85
Consumables (brushes, gloves, mixing stuff, sandpaper)
100


Total
2,145

1 comment:

  1. I love what you are doing. Nice job and hope it sails nicely for you!

    ReplyDelete