Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Right side up

The boat is now turned right side up and I'm ready to start building the benches and decking. After giving it a second coat of paint, I got the keel and stem band pieces from my carpenter friend, glued and screwed them on, puttied the screw holes and finished them with two coats of epoxy. The stem band needed to bend and I didn't want to build a steaming apparatus for such a short piece, so I used a method that has served me well in the past: I made some small saw cuts on the inside of the piece which I filled with epoxy compound. The stem band is visible in the thid photo.

After giving  the garboards and second strakes a third coat of paint, the boat was ready to flip. It is so light that two friends lifted it so I could remove the sawhorses, which, being cheap and flimsy, had almost collapsed; only two of them are even repairable. I also removed the strongback. Then the three of us flipped it and put it on two home-made cradles (first photo).

In the second and third photo you can see the frames and bulkheads: one in the front, two in the middle which will form the rowing thwart, one aft for the rear bench, and two partials for supporting the side benches. Now it will be time for some serious carpentry, but it should go pretty fast. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment