Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Acknowledgements

Now that virtually everything, including rigging details, has crystallized (if not writ in stone--that won't happen even after the boat's launch), it's time for some acknowledgements.  In designing and building my boat, I drew inspiration from a very wide range of sources, some of which were anonymous, some which I have forgotten.  The amateur boatbuilding community is very generous with ideas and advice, and inspiration and emulation is widespread and natural—after all, it’s been said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  I did not copy anything specific in detail, I just used well-known practices (and quite a few improvisations) to achieve what I wanted, based on the many inspirations.  All calculations and decisions, all errors and corrections, and even some small innovations are mine.
Even so, I would like to gratefully acknowledge the following people/businesses for inspirations and influences by subject (a specific boat design is listed as appropriate). 

  • General lapstrake hull design: John Welsford, François Vivier, B&B Yacht Designs (Lapwing)
  • Broad lapstrake hull design: Iain Oughtred (Caledonia Yawl)
  • Cat ketch basics: B&B Yacht Design
  • All manner of stuff on traditional sails, helm balancing, marlinspike skills, etc.: David Nichols
  • Sprit booms: B&B Yacht Designs, David Nichols
  • Lug sails: David Nichols, Jim Michalak
  • Standing lug/sprit boom combo: John Welsford (Houdini)
  • Sheet arrangements: B&B Yacht Designs
  • Halyard arrangements: François Vivier, Michael Storer (Goat Island Skiff), David Nichols, Jim Michalak
  • Broadseaming: Todd Bradshaw
You probably already know that I did not buy any plans for this boatbuilding effort.  That was obviously not for reasons of economy (even though some people think I am cheap): buying plans would have saved me countless hours of planning, calculating and improvising.  As I explained in my two earliest posts, I did not find a design that fit all my needs, and I greatly enjoyed the whole challenge of designing from scratch and building on the fly by the seat of my pants.  For people who are less crazy than me, I would heartily recommend the plans and/or books of the fine naval architects listed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment