Sunday, November 13, 2011

Rubrails

Today I did what I promised myself would be the last thing in the garage for the season:  I put on the oak rubrails.  They are 3/4 inch by 2 inch oak, and it was hard to bend them around the curves of the sheer, along both the y (around the decks) and z (up and down) axis.  I had to cut kerfs on the inside in the forward part, drill recessed pilot holes, and get help from my wife.  Still, I had to stop in the middle and go buy a couple of large, strong clamps to hold things in place amidships.  Also managed to strip a couple of screws, which is par for the course.  There are places where there are tiny gaps between the rubrail and the sheer, but nothing which that last refuge of the desperate boatbuilder, filleting compound, will not fix.  I still have to do that and fill the screw holes, but the table saw, shop vac and tools and materials will be moving into the basement so I can work on the spars and other things (see the previous post). 

So, as usual, keep checking 176inches.

boatbuilder

No comments:

Post a Comment