Saturday, October 6, 2018

Backbone and frames

Well, the backbone is ready and it evokes the boat that will be. A small problem arose while I was joining the CB trunk to the the fore keel/stem: a measuring error meant that the tip of the stem is 20 mm lower than it should be. Given the strength of epoxy, taking the joint apart would destroy a lot of wood, so I could either do  a bodge and adjust things as I put on the sides, or rerun the design. I chose the latter, running the software with a small adjustment and coming up with new measurements for the long side pieces.  Fortunately I hadn't marked the pieces on the plywood, let alone cut them. By now I have transferred the dimensions and drawn the cut lines for two of the four pieces. Once all are cut it will be time to build the skeleton of the boat on a strongback, using the backbone and the frames. 

Speaking of frames, I have finished cutting them out of 12 mm and 8 mm plywood, as seen in the second photo. Only the fore and rear bulkheads and the transom are single pieces. The rest are attached to the CB trunk, or are parts of the seat framing, or in the case of the flimsiest pair, will be a temporary frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment