Thursday, October 25, 2018

Garboard and second strake

The next step was to lay on the garboards (bottom pieces). After cutting off 6mm from the inner edge in the middle to accommodate the extra thickness of the centerboard trunk, and a little trimming, I test fitted them. Considering that my cuts were not particularly precise, the fit was decent. Since I am planning to fillet the seam between garboard and keel, the small gaps will be filled with epoxy compound anyway and the final product will be stronger for it. It's already starting to look like a boat, sort of.

Next came the test fitting of the second strake, and the beveling of the outer edge of the garboard. I ended up using a borrowed power planer. On this beveled edge I nailed and glued the second strake (third photo). The fit at the stem was not great, due to the problems with the height of the stem I mentioned earlier: it seems that the top of the stem moved back up about a centimeter as I was building the skeleton. I think that there is  enough strake overlap to correct the problem as I put the other two strakes on. I will need to plane the upper edges of each strake (they are not perfect) and fill the lap angle with epoxy compound for strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment